CLICK HERE to view the information on AthletesCan’s website.
CLICK HERE for the French version.
IG Wealth Management established an Amateur Athlete Bursary Fund for Canada’s top amateur athletes in 2000.
Working in partnership with AthletesCAN, the Fund awards twenty bursaries of $5,000 to Canadian amateur athletes each year.
Message from IG Wealth Management
In keeping with their commitment to increasing the financial confidence of Canadians, these bursaries provide our country’s top athletes with some financial peace of mind so that they can focus on achieving excellence in their sport. This fund assists Canada’s elite athletes in covering their training and competition costs giving them the confidence to pursue their training and compete on a national and international stage.
Through the IG Wealth Management Amateur Athletes Fund and our partnership with AthletesCAN, we are proud to play a small role in helping you, our country’s most promising athletes, reach your full potential. As ambassadors and role models, you inspire us all to strive to achieve our personal best.
To date, IG Wealth Management has provided $1.9 million in bursary funding to hundreds of Canada’s top athletes.
This bursary fund is open to any Active Senior National Team Athlete who:
- Is a member of AthletesCAN
- Is deemed eligible and in good standing by the appropriate National Sport Organization representing the sport. This includes Olympic, Paralympic, Pan/Parapan American, Commonwealth, and senior national team athletes competing at the senior World Championship level in sports funded by Sport Canada.
- Is a Canadian citizen or landed immigrant permanently residing in Canada.
- Is committed to training and competing for Canada as a member of the senior national team in the upcoming season.
- Has a gross income, from all sources in the preceding year of less than $50,000. Athletes with an income greater than $50,000 annually, who demonstrate financial need, may also be eligible.
*This bursary is available twice to each athlete during their athletic career.
**NCAA athletes should check with their school’s NCAA Bylaw Compliance Officer to confirm if they are eligible.
The selection committee will be comprised of a current and/or past representative of the AthletesCAN Board of Directors, as well as active and/or retired National Team athletes.
AthletesCAN will receive and administer all applications for the IG Wealth Management Amateur Athletes Fund. A short list of applications will be provided to the selection committee, who will determine the final twenty recipients based upon, but not solely limited to, the following criteria. The percentage of value is listed in parentheses after the criteria:
- Athletic Achievement (50%)
- Financial Need (30%)
- Community Involvement (20%)
* Maximum one male and one female from both able bodied and disabled senior national teams in each sport will be selected for the top 20 bursary recipients. This does not preclude more than one athlete of either gender from applying.
Athletes must complete a IG Wealth Management Amateur Athletes Fund Application form found here. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Application Deadline February 3, 2019.
To hear how the IG Wealth Management Amateur Athlete Fund has helped previous recipients click here.